Japanese PS4 cover of Valkyria: Azure Revolution
|Platform(s)||PlayStation 4, Playstation Vita, Xbox One|
JP January 19th, 2017
EU June 30, 2017
NA June 27, 2017
JP January 19th, 2017
EU June 30, 2017
NA June 27, 2017
EU June 30, 2017
NA June 27, 2017
Valkyria Revolution, known in Japan as Valkyria: Azure Revolution (蒼き革命のヴァルキュリア lit. Valkyria of the Blue Revolution), is a role-playing game published by Sega and developed by Media Vision for the PlayStation 4, Playstation Vita and Xbox One. The game's visuals, which utilize SEGA's Gouache graphics engine, resemble a watercolor painting in motion. The game was released in Japan on January 19th, 2017. The game was released on June 27, 2017 in North America and June 30, 2017 in Europe. It is the 4th installment in the Valkyria series, but lacks a "Chronicles" title in order to distinguish it from the previous strategy-based games.
With the discovery of the azure mineral Ragnite, the powerful Ruzhien Empire achieved rapid industrial development and expanded its territory. Jutland, a small country, is economically blockaded by the large country, and advocating “independence and freedom from colonial rule,” strikes the empire army’s base.
All it takes is a single spark to start the inferno of war, and in the story of Valkyria Revolution, players will experience that firsthand. Five lifelong friends consumed by personal revenge plunge an entire continent into a terrible war, sacrificing the lives of countless innocents for a cause based on twisted half-truths and outright lies. This “Circle of Five” use their combined influence in their political and military positions to motivate their small, economically blockaded homeland to rise up and become a powerful resistance against its imperialist oppressors. Will the Circle of Five be remembered as heroic liberators, or will their selfish motives expose them as traitorous conspirators who sacrificed untold lives just to carry out a personal vendetta? Players will watch this history unfold in Valkyria Revolution and find out the truth behind the events...
The Circle of Five, also referred to as the Five Grand Criminals, are responsible for the conflict between Jutland and Ruzhien.
- Amleth Grønkjær (アムレート・グレンケア Amurēto Gurenkea?) - Captain of Vanargand, leader of the Circle of Five, and protagonist of this story. After his childhood was stolen from him, he vowed revenge against Emperor Klaudiusz and formed the Anti-Valkyria Squad to combat the Reaper at the front lines. He is voiced by Daisuke Ono (JA) and Greg Chun (EN).
- Solomon Kahlenberg (スレイマン・カーレンベルグ Sureiman Kārenberugu?) - A serious and straight-laced councilman who moves an entire country to war with his silver tongue. As Jutland's political wunderkind, he pursued the Circle of Five's vendetta against the Ruzi Empire by pulling the strings in Parliament. He is voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya (JA) and Ben Lepley (EN).
- Basil Sabancci (バジル・サバンジュ Bajiru Sabanju?) - The Circle of Five's carefree yet cunning businessman who supplied the army with funding and weaponry. After inheriting his adopted father's company and factory, his shrewd dealings launched Sabancci & Co. to the top of the ragnite industry. He is voiced by Yūki Kaji (JA) and Max Mittelman (EN).
- Fritte Eriksen (フリート・エリクセン Furīto Erikusen?) - An intellectual, mild-mannered journalist who leveraged his writing to further the aims of the Circle of Five. As Jutland's most popular columnist, he uses the power of words to move the public and swing popular opinion in support of the war. He is voiced by Takahiro Sakurai (JA) and Ben Diskin (EN).
- Violette Szand (バイオレット・サンド Baioretto Sando?) - A charismatic yet calculating spy who serves as a secret agent for Jutland's Military Intelligence division while acting as the Circle of Five's informant. She extracts vital information from Ruzi officers and occasionally leaks misinformation to further their war efforts. She is voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro (JA) and Cherami Leigh (EN).
- Ophelia Augusta af Jutland (オフィーリア・アウグスタ・ア・ユトランド Ofīria Augusuta a Yutorando?) - The princess of Jutland, and the heroine of this tale. Although she was the king of Jutland's only heir, she joined Vanargand to protect her people from the front lines. Her regal bearing and soldierly determination inspires both subjects and squadmates. She is voiced by Saori Hayami (JA) and Eden Riegel (EN).
- Miranda Vilfort (ミランダ・ヴィルフォルト ミランダ・ヴィルフォルト?) - Princess Ophelia's personal bodyguard and lady-in-waiting, as well as Godot's younger sister. Having been born to lesser nobility, she served as Ophelia's playmate in her youth before following in her brother's footsteps and joining the royal guard. She is voiced by Ayumi Fujimura (JA) and Cassandra Morris (EN).
- Godot Vilfort (ゴドー・ヴィルフォルト Godō Viruforuto?) - Leader of Jutland's royal guard and attendant to Princess Ophelia, as well as Miranda's older brother. As Vanargand's executive officer, he serves directly under Captain Grønkjær with honesty and unwavering devotion to his king and country. He is voiced by Toshiyuki Morikawa (JA) and Michael Sinterniklaas (EN).
- Blum Tomasson (ブルム・トマソン Burumu Tomason?) - The son of a shopkeeper in Elsinore, Jutland's capital. After being forced by Helena to volunteer for the ragnite aptitude test, his high mana attunement made this quiet and soft-spoken boy a surprisingly powerful asset to the Anti-Valkyria Squad. He is voiced by Nobunaga Shimazaki.
- Jordur Kvist (ジョルダー・クヴィスト Jorudā Kuvisuto?) - An active serviceman in the Jutland Army who readily volunteered to take the ragnite aptitude test and join Vanargand. This hotblooded man is a single father and a loyal soldier who looks up to Daryl, his former drill instructor. He is voiced by Kazuya Nakai (JA) and Patrick Seitz (EN).
- Isaak Berggreen (イザーク・ベアグリーン Izāku Beagurīn?) - A haughty aristocrat who joined Vanargand to maintain his noble house's reputation and make a name for himself...if only Amleth would stop upstaging him. Although he's an unabashed letch, his arrogance is an instant turn-off to his squadmates. He is voiced by Hiroki Takahashi (JA) and Sean Chiplock (EN).
- Daryl Rommedahl (ダリル・ロンメダール Dariru Ronmedāru?) - A former soldier who used to be an officer in the Jutland Army. He was brought out of a quiet retirement in the countryside when the draft dragged him into the Liberation War. This experienced older man loves alcohol, women, and tobacco. He is voiced by Unshou Ishizuka (JA) and Jamieson Price (EN).
- Helena Andersen (ヘレナ・アンデルセン Herena Anderusen?) - The self-styled poster girl of her parents' cafe in Elsinore, Jutland's capital city. Her strong sense of right and wrong spurred her to join Vanargand—and drag her best friend Blum along with her. Her confidence seemingly knows no limits. She is voiced by Yukiyo Fujii (JA) and Sarah Williams (EN).
- Brigitte Ulrik (ブリギッタ・ウルリッヒ Burigitta Ururihhi?) - A schoolteacher who volunteered to take the ragnite aptitude test in order to protect the children in her life. Somewhat stern, she stakes her responsibilities seriously, especially when it comes to helping her squad and lecturing her best friend, Tilda. She is voiced by Yu Shimamura (JA) and Brina Palencia (EN).
- Sara Benner (サラ・ベナー Sara Benā?) - A former mana craftsman and designer of alchemic accesorries. An innocent and chipper savant with boundless optimism, her casual disregard for rank and status made her an instant friend to Princess Ophelia, to whom she lovingly refers as "Fifi." She is voiced by Minami Tsuda (JA) and Britney Karbowski (EN).
- Tilda Gade (ティルダ・ゲーゼ Tiruda Gēze?) - A former engineer who constructed mana weaponry and alchemic armaments whose work was praised for its efficiency. Although she doesn't speak up much, except to her best friend Brigitte, her deadpan sense of humor is surprisingly punny. She is voiced by Yuka Komatsu (JA) and Tara Sands (EN).
- Claudius Powlovich Kiev (クローディアス・パウロヴィッチ・キエフ Kurōdiasu Paurovicchi Kiefu?) - The Emperor of the Ruzhien Empire. He is considered a national hero for transforming Rus from a small nation into one of the five great powers of Europa.
- Brunhilde (ブリュンヒルデ Buryunhirude?) - A Valkyria sided with the Ruzhien Empire that stands before the heroes.
- Maxim (マクシム Makushimu?) - A young officer in the Ruzhien Empire. He was the subject of ragnite experimentation, and as a result has gained special powers.
The "Grand Generals" are the Ruzhien Empire's four highest ranked generals who command and manuaver special Magical Machines. They've also participated in a raiding of an orphanage and are enemies Amleth and company.
- Gilouche Benckendorff (ギルーシュ・ベンケンドルフ Girushu Bekendorufu?) - No. 1 of the four, head of the Army and also serves as the Minister of War. He's also Claudius's foster brother. He is a lively general with great bravery and leadership ability. He has a strict, military-esque tone. Uses a "humanoid" machinery "Guardian".
- Viktor Timasheff (ヴィクトール・チマシェフ Vikutōru Chimashefu?) - No. 2 of the four, head of the General Staff Headquarters and also serves as the Minister of Home Affairs. He excels in strategy and who plans to expand the Empire. Because of having a cold personality, he has a gloomy and superficial polite tone to people. Uses a "serpant" machinery "Snake".
- Gustav Mecklenburg (グスタフ・メクレンブルク Gusutafu Mekurenburuku?) - No. 3 of the four, head of the recently established Navy and also serves as Minister of the Navy. He's effective in magic machinery and naval combat. He's frivolous with no sense of humor. He uses a "whale" machinery "Whale".
- Balthus Greppenberg (バルデュス・グリッペンベルク Barudyusu Gurippenberuku?) - No. 4 of the four, an admiral and also serves as the Minister for Foreign Affairs. He's the youngest of the four Grand Generals and a trickster who speaks with a correct tone, useful for his diplomacy tasks, yet can be vulgar in battle. He uses a "dragon" machinery "Dragon".
|Valkyria Chronicles Series|
|Main Games||Valkyria Chronicles | Valkyria Chronicles 2 | Valkyria Chronicles 3 - Extra Edition | Valkyria Chronicles 4|
|Spin-off||Valkyria Chronicles Duel | Project X Zone | Valkyria Revolution|
|Animations||Valkyria Chronicles Anime | Valkyria Chronicles 3 OVA|
|Merchandise||Action Figures | Books | Music|