This article is about the Rifles in Valkyria Chronicles 4. For other uses, see Rifles (disambiguation).
Rifles are semi-automatic weapons that are the primary armament for the Scout and Engineer classes.
Lenfield - Balanced
The Lenfield series are general-purpose rifles with moderate stats across the board, and are the default weapon for Squad E's Scouts and Enginners.
Gallian - Accuracy
The Gallian series branch off as soon as the Lenfield M2 is available for development. These rifles focus on accuracy and range at the expense of damage. They are a good choice for larger maps with more accurate Scouts, but in higher-level missions their low damage output can cause them to leave enemies alive who would have been killed by other rifle variants. Their Interception fire is also easily shrugged off by high-level post-game Paragon enemies.
Brown - Firepower
The Brown series branch off after the Lenfield M5 becomes available for development. They are less accurate than either of the other stock rifle series, being instead focused on power. All but the first three also fire two more shots than the Gallian or Lenfield series, meaning their overall damage output is vastly higher.
RewardsMost of these weapons are earned by fulfilling certain criteria in Chapter 2 part 1, Chapter 4 parts 1 and 3, Chapter 6 part 1, Chapter 9, Chapter 11, Chapter 13, Chapter 14, Chapter 15 part 1, Chapter 17 part 1, and the sub-episode Squad E Assembles. Specifically, a random reward weapon (all types) is unlocked for each of the following:
- Obtain A rank.
- Kill all enemy Leaders.
- Destroy all tanks (doesn't include bosses or fixed weapons).
- No squad member deaths.
- No squad members in critical condition or evacuated.
The quality of the unlocks appears to be based on the amount of R&D weapons researched, and is based on a rank system from 1 to 5. Post-game, Renown Points can be traded for a random reward weapon of a specified level at the Infirmary.
Dunkel is a special case: when the DLC The Two Valkyria is completed, Nikola Graf and Chiara Rocino become available as members of Squad E. These two always use Dunkels and cannot select any other Scout weapon. The player will also get two more Dunkels, slightly weaker than the versions used by Nikola and Chiara, that can be issued to Scouts or Engineers as they wish. While Chiara and Nikola cannot launch grenades from their weapons, any other Elite Scout who uses a Dunkel will have an Albert launcher mounted to its bayonet.
Dunkel functions more like a miniature Sniper Rifle than a regular Scout rifle: it is incredibly accurate, but only fires a single bolt. Its interception fire is extremely powerful but there are very long loading pauses between every shot: however, it also has the Attack Down status effect, meaning even one hit will render any normal target almost entirely ineffectual. Setting up Scouts with multiple Dunkels covering an approach can easily shut down an entire area of the map.
|Lenfield R1||B+||350||22||48||5||N/A||Rank 1|
|Gallian-X1R||C+||320||23||47||5||Def ↓||Rank 2|
|Gallian-X5D||C+||350||29||45||5||Defense Down||A Captainless Squad DLC|
|Brown M9D||B||400||50||86||7||N/A||Expert Skirmish DLC|
|Lenfield D9||B+||420||43||55||5||N/A||Expert Skirmish DLC|
|Dunkel||A||400||180||450||1||Attack Down||The Two Valkyria DLC, Nikola and Chiara's version|
|Dunkel||A||400||150||400||1||Attack Down||The Two Valkyria DLC, Scout and Engineer version|
|Beam Weapon||A||700||900||9000||1||None||The Two Valkyria DLC, Selvaria only. Limited to 3 ammo. Penetrates multiple targets.|
|Gatling Beam||A||700||75||90||10||None||The Two Valkyria DLC, Selvaria only. Alternate main weapon and used for interception fire.|
The captured ZM Kar series are for the most part short-ranged, inaccurate but powerful weapons which offer formidable Interception fire. In terms of handling they are functionally more like shotguns than rifles.
The one oddity is the DLC ZM Kar X(e), which bucks the trend by having very low vs Pers power but unusually high vs Armor and seven shots instead of five. It is thus rather like a half-range Brown M1 that has an automatic Demolition Boost Order. This allows a Scout using it to easily destroy Fixed Weapons and even deal fairly significant damage to vehicles if they can get behind one.
|ZM Kar 1(e)||E||180||37||45||5||N/A|
|ZM Kar 2(e)||E+||180||40||52||5||N/A|
|ZM Kar 3(e)||E+||180||46||55||5||N/A|
|ZM Kar 4(e)||D||200||52||60||5||N/A|
|ZM Kar 5(e)||D||220||59||65||5||N/A|
|ZM Kar 6(e)||D+||220||64||70||5||N/A|
|ZM Kar 7(e)||C||220||70||75||5||N/A|
|ZM Kar 8(e)||C||230||90||70||5||N/A||Expert Skirmish DLC|
|ZM Kar X(e)||D||180||30||150||7||N/A||Expert Skirmish DLC|
|ZM Kar 0||D||300||12||45||5||N/A|
|ZM Kar 1||D||300||14||51||5||N/A|
|ZM Kar 2||D||300||20||54||5||N/A|
|ZM Kar 3||D||330||28||62||5||N/A|
|ZM Kar 4||C||330||30||68||5||N/A|
|ZM Kar 5||C||330||34||74||5||N/A|
|ZM Kar 6||B||330||36||80||5||N/A|
|ZM Kar 6B||B||330||32||79||5||Defense Down|
|ZM Kar 7||B||330||38||83||5||N/A|
|ZM Kar 7B||B||330||34||83||5||Defense Down|
|ZM Kar 8||B||330||40||88||5||N/A|
|ZM Kar 8B||B||330||36||87||5||Defense Down|
- The Brown series rifle appears to be based on the American Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) a light machine gun used by the Americans in World War II and the Korean War.
- The Lenfield seems to be based on two different weapons. The name seems to be a play on Lee-Enfield, which was the rifle series that was the standard rifle of the British Empire for over sixty years (plus given how the Edinburgh is the VC-equivalent to Great Britain, the name is likely a homage to the rifle series). However, the Lee-Enfield rifles were bolt-action instead of semi-auto. The design of the rifle is based on the American M1 Garand which was the standard issue rifle of American forces in WWII and Korea.
- The Gallian rifle's design seems to be inspired by the real-life Walther Arms Gewehr 43, a german semi-automatic rifle developed in 1943, as well as the French MAS 44 / MAS 49 semi-automatic rifles (the shape of the barrel is typical of the MAS, most notably the muzzle and the median steel hooping that are absent from the Gewehr 43).
- The ZM Kar's designation probably comes from the German "Karabiner", meaning carbine.
- Although the ZM Kar series is praised in its in-game description for its light weight, it is a full 640 grams heavier than the Gallian series and 400g heavier than the Lenfield.
|Valkyria Chronicles 4 Weapons|
|Main Weapons||Lances | Machine Guns | Rifles | Sniper Rifles | Mortars|
|Others||Accessories | Engineer Tool | Flamethrowers | Grenades | Mines | Ragnaid|